1922On April 27, 1922 the official announcement of the foundation of St. Clement’s parish was made by the appointment of our First Pastor, the Reverend Joseph J. Schmit. This date is known as our Establishment Date.
Note: St. Clement is the patron saint of stonecutters and mariners.
On June 30th, 1922 property was purchased at the corner of Madison Avenue and Lincoln with a frontage of 202 feet on Madison Avenue, about 250 feet on Lincoln Avenue and 80 feet on Marlowe Avenue.  In the purchase was included six-room brick residence on Lincoln  Avenue which was at once remodeled and enlarged to serve as pastoral headquarters. The purchase price of the entire property including the residence was $40,000.
On August  17, 1922 began construction at once breaking ground . The general contract exclusive of plumbing, heating and lighting to was given to the lowest bidder, the Schrader Construction Company for $68,000. 
Note: San Clemente in Rome served as a guide and furnished the motifs for general type and some minor details.
The two rows of octagonal oak columns divide the nave from the side aisles. The octagon has been utilized as a Christian symbol since the early Church and refers to Christ’s Resurrection on the eighth day of the week. Look carefully at the oak columns; each of gilded bands of decoration further reference the death and resurrection of baptism (shells, waters, etc.).
On September 17, 1922 the Rt. Reverend Joseph Schrembs, Bishop of Cleveland, assisted by three monsignors and fifty priests laid the cornerstone and preached the sermon from the front porch of the rectory.
On December 25, 1922 marked the beginning of uninterrupted services and the continued presence of our Lord in the Tabernacle. The work of the last few days has transformed an ordinary basement into an inviting chapel.
1923On January 29, the women of the parish established an Altar and Rosary Society to help in all of the social and financial activities of the parish.
On April 1, 1923, Easter Sunday we entered in triumphal procession into the new upper-church, singing hallelujahs of joy and thanksgiving for the privilege of giving this new home to God.
On April 29, 1923 through May 6, 1923, we conducted the two weeks mission with the Missionary Fathers, the Vincentians: Rev. P. F. Flanagan and Robert A. Gillard.
On May 27, 1923, was the next event of importance, for on that day the first class of children to receive their First Holy Communion in the new church. There were 57 in the class.
On September 16, 1923, St. Clement Church was dedicated by Bishop Joseph Schrembs.
1924On September 8, 1924 our parish school opened with enrollment of 350. The children came from seven different schools. The Sisters of St. Joseph, under the direction of the first Principal, Sister Rita, took charge providing faithful, efficient and progressive teaching staff.
On November 23, 1924, blessing of our new school.
1925In January, 1925, saw the establishment of a parish library.
In April, 1925, was the dedication of a new organ with Sacred Concert, under the direction of Edgar Bowman, assisted by St. Ann’s Choristers.
In June, 1925, saw the First Class of Graduation of 36 students.
In November, 1925, was our First Confirmation Class.
1926During Lent, 1925, marked the beginning of regular Convert and Inquiry classes. An invitation extended to all to bring their non-Catholic friends, relatives or neighbors for a systematic course of Instruction on the Faith of Catholics.
1927During 1927, the parish had outgrown the school and it was necessary to build an addition which more than doubled its original size. Eight more rooms and a large gymnasium gave us at last a school that could take care of all the children. The contract for the new building plus furnishings, changes in the heating plant, and showers for the use of gymnasium represented another $100,000 in the value of St. Clement’s church property.
Also During 1927, the rectory had to be enlarged again to provide for a second and later on a third assistant and provide offices and living quarters at a cost of $23,000.
1929In March, 1929, another Mission by the Redemptorist Fathers was held.
Great Depression began. Every effort was made to lower the parish debt. The economic contagion began around September 4, 1929, and became known worldwide on Black Tuesday, the stock market crash of October 29, 1929.
1931In 1931, the dream came true to enlarge the church, replace the front and side porches of wood and wooden window frames to stone, add an entirely new Sanctuary. Seating capacity increased from 600 to 750, and a beautiful new main altar, communion rail, and pulpit – all of marble – were installed.
The original 14 Stations of the Cross were carved of wood and were replaced with the current paintings.